Monday, June 6, 2011

Girls Weekend

Okay, I realize this I should have posted this about a week ago...but better late than never, right???

Memorial Day weekend was a lot of fun for Charlotte. Charlotte's favorite twin cousins came in town to visit for Great Pa's 98th birthday celebration...and that meant a fun-filled girls weekend for the 3 little "besties"! 

After packing up what seemed like an insane amount of stuff for only a 2 day stay by Am-maw and Paw-Paw's house, the girls and I took off across the lake...daddy to follow later in the day! As soon as we got there the squeals of excitement began...we unpacked the care and (of course) they all immediately wanted to change into their bathing suits and hop into the pool! We were on day #6 for Dexie and day 2 of her pump site so I thought all was well....how foolish of me! 

Charlotte lounging pool-side...what a diva!
Within less than 30 minutes from setting foot in the pool I had a gaggle of little girls running to tell me that Charlotte's Dexie sensor had come out. I take a peek, only to see the darned thing halfway hanging out and stuck to her only by the grace of a tiny bit of the adhesive backing. I had questioned myself before letting her in the pool if I should reinforce with a Tegaderm, but she had refused and I thought it would hold at least for the day so we could get the full 7 days worth of use....lesson learned! So I pull the sensor and shut Dexie off and let Charlotte back in the pool. Not much later she comes running again with the gang to show me that her pump site is coming out. Now this makes me cringe, to see that needle pulled out and rubbing/scratching against her skin since the Tegaderm is still trying to do its job to hold everything in place....ouch! So off that goes. Check her sugar...looks good...so I let her back in the pool for a little while longer. Once lunch arrives (courtesy of Am-maw and Paw-Paw) I pop a new site in, bolus her up, and let her eat. Fortunately, that ended our run of D-site fails and complications for the weekend. 

D behaved itself well for the most part and let Charlotte just enjoy the birthday festivities and holiday weekend with her cousins. She even got to indulge in a few very special treats...cake, beignets, and a chocolate snowball! And yes, she can have all of that...we just cover with insulin! This D-momma can SWAG bolus like a pro (most of the time)! 

Red velvet birthday cake for a VERY special Great Pa!
The girls composed and sang an original song for Great Pa
Beignet breakfast with the cousins
Charlotte was SO excited to be able to get a
Chocolate Snowball....takes after her momma!

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful weekend!! So glad that everything cooperated after that first trip into the pool!
    Those beingets look ah-mazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am getting ready for lots of swimming this summer. Soggy Sites SUCK SWEATY BALLS...(say that 10X fast) :)

    Sounds like a wonderful w/e. So glad that you guys got in some family fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great weekend!!! The pool can be such a love/hate relationship...

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW...what a beautiful weekend! I love the pictures :)

    Our Dex sensor hasn't done well under swim pressure either...ugh...

    ReplyDelete