Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Thoughts

Last weekend my mother-in-law had the girls over to spend some quality time with them and to help me be able to get my grocery shopping and chores done without my "littles" in tow. During their time with Nonna they did some Thanksgiving artwork. Amelia made the traditional "hand turkey" drawing...but Charlotte decided to take things in a slightly different direction. 



I'll admit I giggled quite a bit when I first saw the picture! I'm not really sure what Charlotte had in her mind when she drew this.  My guess is that her thoughts were focused on the Pilgrim's clothing and that she prefers her colorful fashions to the "drab Pilgrim garb". Or maybe she was thinking that about the lack of technology (TV, computers, etc) back in those days. 

After my initial giggling, I actually dwelled on her drawing and statement for quite some time. And I've decided that I agree with the sentiment for a few reasons! The obvious being that I'm thankful I didn't have to set sail and journey to a new world and endure the many hardships that our early settlers endured. The maybe not as obvious...I'm thankful that I'm not a Pilgrim since living during the 1600s would have meant living before the discovery of insulin. I am incredibly thankful to live in a time and place where I have access to the drug that saves my daughter's life every day! Had we lived before 1923, Charlotte would not have survived long after her diagnosis with Type 1 diabetes...at best she may have survived a few months by following an extremely restricted diet. 

Unfortunately, there are still children in other parts of the world who do not have access to insulin. It's estimated that there are 100,000 children with diabetes around the world who are in need of assistance to access insulin. Without insulin, these children will die within 1 week. We can do something to help though. Wendy over at Candy Hearts has partnered with several businesses in a campaign to support Life for a Child. You can help save a child's life and support Life for a Child by making an investment in the Candy Hearts Collection. Proceeds from this campaign will provide insulin and supplies to children in need around the world. Direct donations for the campaign are also accepted through Hope Worldwide

I'm thankful that even though there may be times when things get tight for us, our family is able to provide Charlotte with the medical care needed to keep her alive and well. I hope that I can help provide the same for another family in need. 

7 comments:

  1. Awesome... Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a very artistic and thoughtful little girl there, Michelle! Very proud you must be, and thankful. We do live in good times, even though many aren't as fortunate. Thanks for sharing this and spreading more awareness for the worldwide D-Community. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!! That picture is CRACKING ME UP!!!! Seriously. SO FUNNY :)

    2) Thanks for the shout out ;) Such a blessing to live in the post-insulin era.

    God bless, and Happy Thanksgiving, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelle - thanks so much for stopping by and reading my blog...the support means so much to me! I hope you don't mind but I added you to my blog list and I hope to get to know you and your wonderful family better. Hope you had a blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. me too Michelle, I am consistently overwhelmed with how thankful I can feel over the simple sight of a full medicine closet...funny how quickly I realize new boots, new sweaters, and new jeans really aren't as necessary as I once thought. I'll also side with your daughter about being thankful that we're not Pilgrims!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was recently diagnosed (at 44) with type 1. I keep reading blogs and I am so greatful for this online community. I just started blogging as well. Thx so much. Wishing you all a safe journey...
    J

    ReplyDelete